Back pain has a wide variety of causes, from picking up a heavy parcel incorrectly to spending too long in one position. There are lots of structures in your spine which can contribute to back pain e.g. discs, facet joints, muscles and ligaments. Sometimes the spinal nerves are affected and can cause referred pain into the leg.
Top tips for back pain
- Exercise and activity are the most important ways of helping yourself if you have back pain.
- Keep moving and continue with activities such as walking or swimming.
- Paracetamol or similar pain-killers, taken as advised by your GP or pharmacist, can help you keep moving comfortably.
- Avoid sitting for too long when driving or at work.
- Gently stretch to prevent stiffness.
- Take care when lifting, bending your hips and knees to use the power in your legs.
- Check your posture when using computers/games or watching television.
- Check the mattress on your bed to ensure it supports you properly.
- Make sure your car seat and office chair are adjusted correctly and support your back.
- Eat a healthy diet and exercise, as being overweight can be a cause of back pain.