There are more than 200 types of arthritis and related conditions. In osteoarthritis the joints show signs of wear and tear. In rheumatoid arthritis, the body’s immune system attacks the joints, which can become red and swollen if not treated.
Top tips for arthritis care
- Keep active. This helps to keep your muscles strong and joints mobile.
- Maintain a healthy weight, so your body is not too heavy for your joints to carry.
- Avoid aggravating an inflamed joint.
- Get advice on how you can manage your condition.
- Try to maintain good posture.
- Use heat or cooling packs over painful joints according to manufacturer’s instructions.